Monday, July 04, 2005

The Fourth of July

Sitting in church yesterday I thought maybe I would put something up here today in honor of the Fourth. I have a book, published a few years ago, that describes the heroic acts of each of the Medal of Honor recipients that were alive at the time the book was researched and written. The first thing that came to mind yesterday as I thought about what to write today was to summarize a particularly moving "Medal of Honor" story. (I'm not sure why the observance of the Fourth of July this year, in my mind, is utterly intertwined with military feelings.)

I think that approach -- retelling someone's Medal of Honor story -- would ignore the sacrifices of my Dad, my Grandpas, my uncles, a great uncle who served in the military in various conflicts (WWII and Vietnam, as best I'm aware). I'd like to thank them.

1 Comments:

Blogger Scott--DFW said...

I'm not sure where to put this sort of feedback, so I'll just put it here.

Biz Markie should not be on your "What's Not" list. The guy was a pioneer beat-boxer, inventive freestyler, and started the hip-hop trend of deliberately out-of-tune vocals. He's admired by a "who's who" of modern rappers and DJs, from the well known (e.g., Snoop Dogg, Beastie Boys, Coolio, et al.) to the underground (e.g., Rahzel, Kenny Muhammed, the X-ecutioners, et al.).

Lay off the Biz.

Scott

12:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home